Portfolio | photographic portraits
Below – excerpts from the interviews accompanying the protraits.
imagined as a child
• Dancing…. moving through a space, of being in the air, elevating oneself.
• I want to be a marine biologist.
• To make my own decisions.
• I thought it would be great to buy food at the train station.
• I wanted to be a carpenter.
remember before the age of ten
• …my older brother said, “Don’t make waves.” I’ve never forgotten that day.
• Me and my dad went camping and chipmunks fell on the tent cause there were a lot of chipmunks there in the woods, like a million chipmunks.
like to see in the future
• To see if all the people who got left behind, have a place in the world then, and all the people who had potential, got to express and achieve it.
• Everyday space travel.
• I would like to have a big, beautiful studio.
• Buy a lot of dogs.
• I would travel around the world. That’s what I would do. I think buy a wonderful house.
• I would like two things: to travel, and to make sure my family is supported.
aspect of your physical self that you appreciate
• My dancer’s body.
• I appreciate my body; it’s stronger than it’s ever been.
out of doors
• I like the way little things stick to other things, the way that a tree can grow around a fence or a rock.
• When I’m in Vermont…I like the way the air smells. I like the way it looks. I like all the animals and I like the plants.
want to learn
• Travel was the best way in the world to throw money away and I really enjoyed all the travels I did.
• I want to be smart.
• I’d like to scuba dive.
• I want to learn how to play the harp.
• I think all people should practice much more tolerance, and be much more empathetic to the plight of others and try hard for real equality throughout. I think those are the things I like.
• I think compassion is the only thing that is going to get us to the point of humanity.
• What my place is and how I can use my voice, as a white person, in support of..anti-racism.
a place you like
• I used to really feel a kinship with the ground, to lie in the wood on the ground and look at little growing things, or straws or something. Just as entertainment and peacefulness.
• My hometown….we didn’t know we were poor. We were sort of all the same.
• The beach really relaxes me when I’m with my friends and swimming.
• Mount Katahdin is one of my favorite places.
• I wish that when I was little I didn’t hit my dog when I got mad.
most useful skill
• I think that I was a natural-born teacher, that I may have gotten that from my father.
• To be able to have different models in my head at the same time, emulate the opposite point of view from myself.
• Take care of myself.